Fork 0

add new blog post "new blog engine"

Finally a new blog post out about the new blog engine!
Gibheer 8 years ago
parent f209b5c924
commit 49e29b770b

@ -0,0 +1,104 @@
date = "2015-11-18T20:45:08+01:00"
draft = false
title = "new blog engine"
author = "Gibheer"
As you can see, the blog finally got a new design, because we came around to
actually work on it.
So in this post, I will explain a bit, what we actually did and why we reworked
the blog yet again.
The old blog engine was a self written system in ruby using [zero](https://github.com/libzero/zero). It worked
pretty well the first couple months. But it was on one side a huge pain to keep
up to date and on the other side, I didn't even get around to implement a nice
interface to write new blog entries.
Since then, every article was hand crafted in an editor and published by pushing
it into the database.
new system
For the new system, we decided to just avoid all the hassle and take the route
of a static pages for now. Despite the old blog never being updated, it still
was very fast and we did not want to loose that.
With that, we decided on [hugo](http://gohugo.io/), just because it is easy to install and to keep
up to date, as the only thing to do, is to refresh the pages and copy them into
the correct directory.
some implementation hassles
If you are trying to make the switch to hugo, here are some problems I found and
a solution.
*1. RSS feed*
The [RSS feed](https://gohugo.io/templates/rss/) can be adjusted in a separate
template, but the default one works okay.
Hugo will automatically create index.xml files, which represent the rss feeds,
for the sections and content index pages. You can overwrite the rss templates
to filter out content you don't want to have in there.
If you want to completely disable the RSS feature, you can add the following
option to your [configuration](https://gohugo.io/overview/configuration/).
# Do not build RSS files
disableRSS: false
template calling
Hugo is a bit different in comparison to many other systems in how the templates
are called.
Instead of using central template and branching out from it, hugo calls
specific templates when it needs them and they have to include the files they
need, for example the header.
You can create a directory [partials](https://gohugo.io/templates/partials/) and
place partial templates there to include in your main template, using `{{ partial "name.html" / }}`.
To call other templates, use the _.Render_ function.
The [documentation on templates](https://gohugo.io/templates/overview/) is pretty
good, when using some examples from other themes.
As for this blogs theme, you can find everything on [our git](https://git.zero-knowledge.org/gibheer/zblog).
One can easily define taxonomies when creating a new content just by adding
a new key/value pair into the head of the content.
These can then be accessed in the template through `{{ .Param.keyname }}`.
Hugo creates automatically index pages for the taxonomies, which is rather nice.
https support
For https support you need to set the `baseurl` to an empty string. This way
all resources are referenced absolutely from the root directory.
If you only have https or http, you can define the complete path in the
Till now, we are pretty please with the overall result. Building the pages works
very fast and the hugo server also embedds a small javascript to reload the page
when new context was added or saved.
Everything we have built and used is available in the [git repository](https://git.zero-knowledge.org/gibheer/zblog),
so you can take a look there, how everything works.